Friday, April 22, 2011

Doctor, Set The Way-back Machine For..."

1979. Or maybe 1980.
Tom Baker was still the Doctor. His companion was the very capable Sarah Jane Smith (played by Elisabeth Sladen) and "Doctor Who" was on TVOntario hosted by Science-Fiction writer Judith Merril (who I once had the privilege of being stuck in an elevator with.). The series was always a year or 2 behind what was being shown in the UK and the internet did not exist in the capacity as it does today (Feeling old yet?).



On my most recent move, I had rediscovered a pile of these fanzines in a box. I had made them with my brother and a group of like minded friends. We were all very young at the time; barely in our teens.

There were 4 issues created (although issue 3 is missing; hopefully to be found in another box somewhere), all painstakingly typewritten and Letrasetted. All, with the exception of #4, were photocopied and then hand-stapled. I even found a "fan-letter" that was written stuck in-between one of them. I sat back and flipped through them delighting in the enthusiasm that dripped from every page. Not great writing but heartfelt for something we cared about and took seriously at the time.

For me, I think I have just re-opened the Pandorica.




Addendum: I found I couldn't post this blog without mentioning how saddened I was about the passing of Elisabeth Sladen last week. She wrote the book for every one of the Doctor's companions who came after her and will be missed.

2 comments:

  1. It's awesome you found those! Tom and Liz were and always will be "My Doctor and companion". I am so sad at the loss of Elizabeth Sladen and will miss her greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really surprised/pleased to find them as I always wondered what had happened to them. I'm probably going to scan them as pdf files and make them available (for free, of course) to anyone who wants them.

    The chemistry between Tom and Liz was always so great and made watching the series, for me, always so pleasurable.

    ReplyDelete