Friday, October 22, 2010

Voting: The Goblet of Fire.




In a few days, the citizens of Toronto the good will get another chance to cast their ballots and will, hopefully, get a Mayor and City Council, who will get it right this time. Now, this isn't going to be a blog on who or what to vote for, as I'm sure you are all sick to death of the reports, soundbites and polls that have been a part of our daily lives for the last few months.
No, this is going to be about the method I will be using to determine who I will vote for in this election and not necessarily for the coveted position of Mayor. That's an easy one as they're all over the media anyway. What I mean, is for the City Councellors. I live in Ward 3. Etobicoke. I would have never guessed that there was anyone running, as I have not received any of the usual pamphlets, phonecalls or visits from either the person running or a representative for them offering to kiss my baby or put a sign on my front lawn. Nothing. In the last place I lived, I got visits from them all. This time, I actually had to look up whether or not there was someone running in this Ward.
So, how is one to determine to vote come election day? By using what I would like to dub "The Goblet of Fire Method" (appologies to J.K. Rowling):
Get a very nice goblet (or something similar; after all there is only a few days left.). Make sure to draw an age line around it, so those under 18 can't mess with it. Write the names of those running for City Councellor on some scraps of paper with waterproof ink. Before you drop the names into the goblet, make sure to add a spoonful or two of baking soda and some vinager, to make it smoke like a volcano. Now, quickly add the paper scraps. Switch off all lights, except for the most dramatic one and make a big fat production in front of your friends, family, co-workers etc. by choosing a name out of the goblet.
Voilà. Your choice is made. Just don't forget to bring it with you to the polls on election day.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment