Monday, April 9, 2012

Of Bananas, Guinea Fowl And Birds On Wires...

...Mailart: The Animal Kingdom Edition...
Yep. I'm really behind again on blogging my most recently acquired mailart. But, at least I've mostly caught up on sending it back out...so everything is good on that end...

Bananas from Dean Marks
Yes. I know bananas are not an animal, but monkeys eat bananas and, therefore, fit the bill as far as I'm concerned. Dean, has a group on the International Union Of Mail Artists called "Bananas" and when not torturing my "Kat", Zombie Kitty Kawaii!, must have created this "banana" inspired mailart.  Dean, I owe you some "banana" mailart and will get it to you soon. Thank you for the tip about putting bananas in the refrigerator. I do, however, have one in my freezer. You could knock someone out with it.

Guinea Fowl from Sue Hobbs
Guinea Fowl are native to Africa, where this piece of mailart was sent from. They remind me a lot of the wild turkeys that wander my father-in-laws property, but smaller. This is a lovely and delicate piece of work. I really admire it's mixture of quilting and paper work. There is even a small feather from a guinea fowl within the piece. It's really rather neat. 

Like A Bird On A Wire From Guido Vermeulen

"Like a bird on the wire
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free."
Songwriter: Leonard Cohen

Love the song. Love the piece. Thanks, Guido! 

A "Steampunk" Poem And Zombie Kat Fairwell from Vizma Bruns 
Of Zombie Kats and Cows
Vizma was one of our "Zombie Kat hosts" and official correspondent from Down Under. She finally sent away her charge, "Zombie Mini Kawaii!" after many hilarious misadventures. Something tells me she is missing "Mini Kawaii!" already. 

Air Kraken Over The Aegean Sea from Katerina 

What exactly are "Air Kraken"? Why their flying octopus, of course. After, sending Katerina an Air Kraken Day card (March 17th, in case you are wondering.), she sent me this one in return. How lucky she was to have spotted these Kraken above the Aegean Sea. It must have been quite the sight to behold!
A few weeks later, I received from Kat the "Greek Green Spring", which cheered me immensely. I heard the other day on a radio show that if you wanted to get in the mood to do something creative, one should look at the colour "green". I can't remember why or the rest of what they said on this radio program as I was in the dentists chair and got a bit too distracted by what was going on at the time. It's a lovely card in any case, Kat, so thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment